Monday, November 16, 2009

broccoli cole slaw

This post is for Peg, who requested this information approximately five months ago. I am all about the timely response.

This recipe is one of the most complimented, and most requested, that I have in my (admittedly limited) repertoire. I ask people what I can bring to a shindig, they ask me to bring this.

Start with two packages of Mann's Broccoli Slaw, which you can find in the produce aisle (although it can be a bit tricky to get on the weekend, especially during the summer).


DSCN1772


Add one cup of unsalted sunflower seeds.



DSCN1773


Lightly toast one cup of slivered almonds (the toasting is one of the keys to the flavor, but be careful: they burn quickly!). After cooling, add to the bowl.


DSCN1771


Break apart the ramen noodles in two packages of beef flavor. I like to pound them to release a little pent-up frustration, but try not to pound too hard or you will end up with (1) powdered ramen noodles and/or (2) ramen noodles shooting out the end of the package.


DSCN1775


Add the ramen noodles to the mix, setting aside the flavor packets.


DSCN1776


In a separate bowl, whisk together the contents of the flavor packets, 1/2 C sugar (I try to cut this down from time to time in the interest of health but my family immediately flags me), 1/3 C apple cider vinegar and 2/3 C olive oil.


DSCN1777


Pour over the mixture and stir well, making sure everything gets well coated. You can refrigerate at this point, or serve immediately.


DSCN1778


Options: a handful of dried cranberries, thinly-sliced green onions (though perhaps not with the cranberries), adding dressing just before serving (I like it to soak into the noodles a little bit, but if you prefer crispy noodles, this is the way to go).

It's that easy; at this point, both my older boys can make it on their own. (We are asked to bring it all the time!) Just don't bother making it if you are coming to a party or potluck with me, because I am probably already bringing it.

1 comment:

  1. ha ha ha ....I am glad you posted. I had this exact dish at a church potluck in Minnesota.

    Loved it and still remember the taste.

    Try adding a hint of sesame oil just at the end...it will explode : ).

    I think I seriously need to move by you...with all this good food.

    ReplyDelete