Sunday, June 27, 2010

we got the beet

Yesterday we had my husband's family over for dinner, including his two small nieces. Terzo is between them in age. He loves when they get together and eagerly joins in with whatever they come up with. There is a lot of high-pitched shrieking -- a sound we are not used to -- and a lot of running around -- which we love when it takes place outside -- and also a lot of singing.

It has been my experience with little girl play vs. little boy play that little girls spend a lot of time singing songs and pretending to be in a rock band and putting on talent shows and other voice-related activities. I am not sure if my sons are a representative bunch, but this is something they never do, unless of course they are playing Rock Band on the Xbox.

I am not sure of the sociological significance of this, but I do seem to remember that many playdates of my youth involved much singing and pretending to be in a rock band and putting on talent shows, so maybe there is a gender link. Someone needs to do some research on this.

After they left, we found these song lyrics, written by the second grader and left behind near the XBox drumset which they had been beating away on.


The Crush Beet (c)
ner ner ner ner ner
Oh way the Crush Beet Band
ner ner ner ner ner
Oh way the fresh beet band
ner ner ner ner ner ner ner
Oh way the fresh beet band
All the
fresh
beet
band 


Who knew raw beets could be so inspiring? Although I am reasonably sure that not one beet, fresh or otherwise, has ever crossed those children's lips, my son included.

No comments:

Post a Comment