Saturday, June 18, 2011

a new project

For once: not me. Well, sort of me, but just in a peripheral support role.

A few months back, someone suggested in passing to Primo that fixing up a tractor would be a great 4-H project. It kind of marinated for a while... I mentioned it in passing to the mother of a friend of his... and before I knew it, a new 4-H club was born.

A suitable broken-down tractor was found and donated.

Several great kids expressed an interest.

Knowledgeable leaders volunteered.

A mechanic's shop was provided.

Luckily, they were all in the same place, with the exception of some of the kids. The club was in business.

The tractor looked like this when they started:



There is a tractor under there, hidden by a front loader which has since been removed. The kids figured out it is a 1953 Ford Golden Jubilee, made to commemorate the fiftieth year of Ford Motors.

They have been steadily dismantling it ever since, having a ball (and hopefully learning something) in the process. Their biggest obstacle is the cost of parts but they are chipping away at that as well. I spent today with them and their animals at the local Tractor Supply, selling hot dogs and lemonade and general goodwill.

If you want to follow their progress, they have started a blog: rustybolts.blogspot.com. The blog is the work of one member; pretty impressive, I think, especially for his first time doing this sort of thing. Become a follower and make his day!

Before you chastise me for adding another thing to my plate, let me explain: it's all part of my Grand Plan, to keep them as constructively busy as possible throughout their teenage years and hope for the best. I'll let you know in ten years how it works out.

1 comment:

  1. That is a really cool project! I love antique tools and farm equipment and would probably enjoy restoring a tractor myself!

    ReplyDelete