Friday, June 17, 2011

rain turkey

We had a whopper of a thunderstorm last night, which lasted well over three hours. Dogs were barking, kids were sleepwalking, I was mentally inventorying the location of all the animals to make sure they had shelter. (They did, but this blog's title is quite literal.)

The morning brought an unusual visitor to our back porch; not sure if it had anything to do with the storm, because we haven't seen a wild turkey around here in years. By the time I grabbed my camera she had already retreated to the willow tree.



Before we knew it, she was on top of the center paddock fence.




I have years of memories of my dad trying to take close-up shots of wild turkeys -- to the point that his attempts to sneak up on them became a family joke. Now I finally appreciate the difficulties. Sorry Dad!

In case you are wondering if this blog should be renamed "losing sleep counting birds," I'll include a gratuitious kid shot. Which has nothing to do with sheep, but at least it's not birds.



His older brother had just trudged to the end of the drive in the pouring rain to get him off the bus, only to have his little brother yell "I'm going out in the rain. It's fun to run in the rain!" and take off. The look on the elder's face pretty much sums it up -- but does not at all reflect his excitement at finishing his first year in high school today. Gee, that went quickly!

1 comment:

  1. I'll give you some of our turkeys. We've had them looking in the kitchen window at the dogs who were practically having heart attacks.

    We are overrun with turkeys.

    ReplyDelete