Wednesday, January 4, 2012

first f.o. of the year

(FO = finished object in knitspeak)

I was itching to do some selfish knitting after my Christmas rush, and this Chinook scarf has the distinction of being the first off the needles!



It was from an orphan ball of yarn that I had no idea what to do with... but one of the fun things about trying to knit exclusively from what you already own is that it forces you to view your stash in new and novel ways. And it's hard to tell from the picture, but all points were present and evenly accounted for, so I managed to get that monkey somewhat off my back as well.

The scarf is knit from end to end, starting with 9 stitches and then increased to a midpoint. Thanks to my awesome Christmas gift of a new kitchen scale -- which of course I have only used to weigh yarn -- I was able to figure out exactly when I was at the halfway point on the yarn and start decreasing. The scale was so accurate that I ended up with only about 1 foot of yarn, just enough to weave in the end. But I can truly say that particular yarn is all gone now.

4 comments:

  1. *clapping hands wildly* May I just say you are off to a most impressive start. Happy New Year to you. I am still finishing up the Christmas gifts. Yes, I once again wrapped up UFOs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you get a commission? 'You-know-who' immediately checked out the source of this magic scale and we should have one by Saturday.

    Can't wait to weigh my yarn on it, but I don't think that's what he has in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you, Kris! It's lovely.

    ReplyDelete