Saturday, February 11, 2012

yankee fiber finish

Remember this most excellent fiber I received a month ago in my spinner's group Yankee swap?



I managed to spin it up during the snow storm two Saturdays ago. My set-up couldn't be beat:



While my LSH took the boys sledding and face-wrecking, I watched the movie Arranged (highly, highly recommend) and spun to my heart's content. (Yes, he is awesome, but he is also glad that he didn't have to watch the movie with me.) I finished plying it later that night while we finally saw True Grit.






It took me a little while to figure out to make out of the resulting yarn, which totaled about 175 yards due to rusty spinning skills. I finally realized that a pattern I had in my Ravelry queue for some time would work, and I cast on Monday afternoon, with the goal of finishing it by this Friday. I was the hostess for the group this month, and I wanted to show the gifter my results. Unfortunately she couldn't make it due to illness! Marilyn, I hope you are feeling better soon.


I am embarrassed to admit that this was only the second time that I knit a project from yarn I spun, and boy, was it instructive. Every time I came to a spot of thickness where I hadn't drafted properly, I cursed my poor form, especially as I drew close to the end of the pattern and realized that I wasn't going to have enough yarn to finish. (I cut the pattern short with six lines to go. It didn't make any difference to the pattern and I think I actually prefer it this way, so all's well that ends well, but note to future self: draft more consistently!)

In the end though, I am very happy with the project for several reasons. The fiber didn't marinate in my stash for forever and a day; I managed to produce a scarfette I really like; the colors are ones that I wouldn't have grabbed—though I love them; and best of all: I'll think of Marilyn every time I wear it.

5 comments:

  1. Kris: You did a fabulous job. Love the scarf. Hope to see it in person soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent results! Every time I make something from my handspun I curse my sloppy spinning, and in the end you can never see it :*) Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What sloppy spinning? Looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete