Friday, January 4, 2013

love the library

Today was a wonderful break from the hustle-bustle of the season, with time in a quiet house to concentrate, finally, on an upcoming deadline. I can't say anything about the project, except I am hugely excited to be a part of it—if my work is accepted, that is, so please keep all fingers crossed.

I have had the necessary materials for some time and just needed a block of time to puzzle out how to start. Starting, of course, is always the most difficult part. Once five stitches are on the needle, or ten words are on the screen, or three moldy things are tossed from the fridge to the trashcan, it's all downhill from there.

I emerged into the sunlight (because my little workroom, while lovely and totally mine, has no windows) to find a message from our local library: my book had finally arrived. I had ordered this book over a month ago, and then promptly forgot about it. When I picked it up, the long wait was explained:



This book travelled all the way from California, just for my whim. Well, more than a whim, I needed it for research, which begs the reminder: libraries are amazing institutions. Among other powers, they can summon books from across the continent for you! Books are irreplaceable, I don't care how much you love the kindle or nook or whatever. You don't have to be a librarian to appreciate this fact, though you can get lots of love from your favorite librarian by supporting your local library.

TV Tip: I watched North & South while I worked, to take my mind off my impatient wait for the third season of Downton Abbey to start this coming Sunday night. If you are a fan of period drama, and you have not seen this BBC production from 2004, stop everything and find a copy right away. (Hint: it is in Netflix instant queue; of course, ask your local library if you don't have Netflix.) This is the third, or maybe even fourth, time that I have watched it, and it did not disappoint. Trust me, this one is worth every minute. "I have seen hell, and it is white, snow-white."

1 comment:

  1. Being a librarian, I love the library as well. And ILL is truly amazing!

    ReplyDelete