Saturday, July 27, 2013

eat something happy

My final post for the week of happy. Just in the nick of time, too. I can go back to being grumpy tomorrow.



Today's happy is all about the fresh fruit and veg this time of year. We are lucky to live in the heart of Jersey's farm country. It's not all McMansions and shipping warehouses just yet! Farmstands galore, with plenty of bounty to share. This week we have enjoyed the following, all grown locally (though sadly, not by us):

  • zucchini
  • sweet corn (oh, the sweet corn)
  • cherry tomatoes
  • red potatoes
  • cucumber
  • peaches
  • blueberries
  • green beans
  • nectarines
  • blackberries (I forgot, we did grow these!)

Healthy food makes such a difference on mood and attitude, but this important fact gets ignored all too often around here. My family will tell you, I was a complete bear today. As I sat down to write this post I realized I was so "busy" that I just had a couple cookies and some coffee until dinner time. Not at all the recipe for a balanced approach to life, and my attitude paid the price. Tomorrow it's back to my usual fruit-and-yogurt smoothie for breakfast, and perhaps I can postpone the bad mood until at least 1 pm.


And then I will go looking for one of these.

No comments:

Post a Comment