Sunday, November 30, 2014

#adventword

Advent, the church season during the four weeks leading up to Christmas, is supposed to be a time of watchful waiting, of expectant reflection. My intentions every year are very good around November 28th, but the combination of holiday stress and aggravation results in those intentions falling apart by December 9 or so. My experiment last year, making a personal Advent challenge for myself of blogging daily on the prescribed word of the day, was somewhat more successful. In Type A eldest child fashion, I managed to maintain focus a little better in the context of a competition.

The writing is already on the wall this year, or should I say, not on the wall. This should come as no surprise to anyone who has noticed a *ahem* tail-off in the frequency of posts. A bloggy reflection each day is not happening; no need to set myself up for certain failure. But I did still want to participate for the grounding benefits I received last year.



This year's advent word project is run by the Society of Saint John the Evangelist, a place that holds a special place in my heart because both boys dined at this monastery during their respective pilgrimages with church. It challenges participants to post just a picture each day. That may have been the challenge last year too and I probably just wasn't paying attention and made it harder than it had to be, as I have an unfortunate tendency to do.

I think I can manage a picture and perhaps a few words via Instagram and Facebook.

There I go making it harder again. My goal is a picture. JUST A PICTURE.

Today's word was look. As of last night, I was undecided on whether to take the challenge on, just one more thing in a long list of things. Maybe I would just read the word and do a little reflecting in my head. When I opened our front door to let the dog out first thing, however, this amazing view presented itself, and the words of my favorite Advent hymn popped unbidden into my head:

People, look east: the time is near.



Sometimes life is like that: the decision is made for you. Those types of decisions are usually for the best, anyway. I am still undecided about whether or not to put it here as well every day. Too much social media sharing-ness? Maybe that decision will be made for me tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. I wouldn't stress out about the every day part of it, but a photo is marvelous even on it's own!

    ReplyDelete